Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Newly Discover Application - StreamToMe

I often pick up great tips and ideas, applications, and more for many facets of my technology and learning infused life from my Google Reader pages which I read on my iPad with Reeder and on my many desktop computers through the Google Reader application. Incidentally Google also has a Google Mobile application that I use sometimes as well that includes all of the many great services offered by Google. Recently I found a very good iOS application this way. It is called StreamToMe. In the past there have been a few applications that allow you to control your Macintosh or PC from your iOS device (iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch). This application actually allows you to play content on your iOS device from your computer in effect going in the opposite direction as those applications I have used in the past. StreamToMe works very well and it is very simple to set up. You simply download the StreamToMe app to your iOS device and down load the StreamToMe server application to your Mac or PC. I was impressed with the application's ability to convert almost any video format on the fly from a desktop computer to a format that iOS devices can utilize. The audio files worked very well and affords me the ability to place speakers in any room of the house, connect an iOS device to the speakers, and play content that only exists on the desktop computer. This application gets a five star rating in my book. Kudos to the developer Matt Gallagher.

2 comments:

G6PD said...

Looks like a nice app. How is it different from Orb, Libox and Didiom?

Unknown said...

Thank you for the post it seems there are only a few differences between these services. However, Orb requires the additional cost of a piece of hardware, Libox looks comparable except that the iPad app is still pending as far as I can see, and Didiom is Windows only for the desktop version. But you are correct in thinking they are all very similar.